Proper exfoliation is the key to great skin in many ways. Removing dead skin cells unclogs pores, reduces wrinkles, and allows your facial products to penetrate the skin more deeply. While a great exfoliating treatment is a total treat for your skin, it can be easy to do more harm than good if you don’t know what you’re doing. Here are some dos and don’ts of facial exfoliation:
- Use irritating scrubs.
- Rush the process. Don’t skip to a more intense treatment to speed up results. This can burn and damage your skin.
- Use body scrubs on your face.
- Expose your face to sun after a chemical peel.
- Consult an esthetician or dermatologist to find the right type of exfoliation method for you.
- Use serums and moisturizers to treat and protect fresh skin. About every 30 days, your epidermis fully exfoliates and the dermis below becomes new surface skin. When you exfoliate properly, products will absorb into the dermis much more effectively, producing skin that looks better and better each month!
- Be patient! Taking the longer road will yield much better results than over scrubbing and peeling.
- Use extra caution around the eyes, where the skin is much more delicate. This area should typically be avoided.
- Consult a professional when opting for chemical exfoliation. Choosing the right peel is crucial and expert advice is the way to go!
- Allow time for skin to bounce back after treatment. You can use a mechanical exfoliator (a physical abrasive like a scrub, sponge, or buffing product) a few times per week. Give yourself a week or two between at home chemical peels or treatments. Allow for 4-6 weeks between professional chemical treatments.
Curious about finding the perfect exfoliation treatment for your skin? Come talk with our knowledgeable team anytime! Another great place to start is with one of our signature facials.